1.24.2013

Preschool

His progress report from school:

Ethan is a delight to have in class.  He is an active participant in classroom activities.  He is content building with blocks and playing with cars, often engaging others in his play.  He is able to communicate well and his vocabulary continues to be expressive and well thought-out.
                                                                      -Mrs. Hogan & Mrs. Barnard

It's that time of the year again for preschool registration and I have some conflicting feelings about it.  I've come to learn that it isn't universal that a Christian preschool would incorporate Bible curriculum, like the one Ethan attended in Iowa.  In fact, they were teaching him about ghosts, goblins and witches at Halloween and a big push for Santa breakfast at Christmas.  I'm not against all that, but those things are not the main focus in our household.  Anyway if I choose to re-enroll him, Ethan's pretty much guaranteed to get in as to being on all these waiting lists.  We also have to take in an account of if/where/when we buy a house and its location.  That's another stress in and of itself, especially here in the NOVA area (Northern Virginia).

A few new things:

  • Ethan's teacher at church has been super impressed not only with his obedience but also his coloring skills.  She is constantly mentioning about what a special boy we have on hand.  It makes me smile!  
  • Recently Ethan taught himself how to write the alphabets all on his own.  He got 24 out of 26, not too shabby.
  • I believe I have brainwash this child as far as sweets and candies go.
  • He said to Gavin, "No you can't eat candy it has too much sugar."
  • He came in to check with me after Brian already told him he could have some popcorn before bed.  Ethan thought for sure that it was "too late."
  • After Brian teased Ethan that he was going to eat cookies for lunch, "No you can't eat that for lunch.  You can have them after lunch."
  • I only have to tell him once to 1) turn his door knob after going to the bathroom in the middle of the night so it doesn't wake everyone up and 2) to shut the toilet lid so Gavin doesn't stick his hand in it and he remembers it even while being half awake, half asleep.
  • I think he has wisdom and discernment even at this young age.
  • After looking at his dinner plate one night, Ethan decided to get down from his chair, turned around and said, "I know the rules Mamma" and went to his room.  (The rule is if you don't finish your dinner, you don't get anything else.)

No comments: