- Gavin has always been independent and prefers to do EVERYTHING himself. However, now he has somehow reverted back to this baby stage where he refuse to do ANYTHING by himself include using the bathroom. He will stand there screaming and crying because he has to go so bad, but will not actually go unless I take him, undress him and hold his hand. Then redress him again. I stood my ground with this manipulation last week which resulted in him peeing on.the.floor.everywhere.
- We're also going through this at night where he used to wake up in the middle of the night, use the bathroom by himself and go back to bed. Now he will cry in the bathroom as if he's mad that no one is waking up to help him. Then continues to stand in the hallway wailing in order to wake everyone up and would not stop until one of us comes and puts him back to bed.
- He is now refusing to nap so I'm implementing quiet time in his room anywhere from 30-60 mins. The rule is he can play quietly or read, but he is not to come out of his room. Well guess what, he sure test his limits with that one.
- So I hang on to the hopes of "if he doesn't nap at least he goes to bed early." Well that isn't the case either. Bed time is a battles us because he continually comes out of his room. We've tried time out and spanking which seemed to enrage him and wind him up even more. We've tried ignoring which is fine on other nights except Tuesday nights when we have small group and he becomes too distracting for everyone. We've also tried talking him through it which seemed to be the best method. However, having to do this on repeat every.single.night gets really tiring. So now we're trying the positive reinforcement where he gets a sticker on a chart if he stays in his room during quiet time and another sticker at bed time. I'm praying that this works because we're totally stumped.
- Because he's choosing not the nap now, Gavin has a daily melt down at about 3:30 pm right when I have to go pick Ethan up from school. That continues at school, through the car ride and back at home and while I have to make dinner. Fun times.
- We're also battling meal time where he never wants to sit and eat and then complains about being hungry all the time. But that's another story.
And today, Gavin stayed in his room during quiet time (even though he emptied his entire drawers and closets and then shoved everything behind the glider). Hey I'm picking my battle. Tonight was also a success as I had to put both boys to bed (since Brian had to work late) which I was SO dreading. But he didn't protest and didn't even come out once. I couldn't believe it! Definitely a sticker reward and lots and lots of praises tomorrow for sure!!! There is hope after all...
No comments:
Post a Comment