- So the mono test came back positive which totally explained a) why Ethan has been so tired and kind of lethargic lately and b) the lump on his neck. The doctor ended up ordering a chest x-ray anyway (which we went the next day) just to see if there is anything in his lungs. But that came back negative and we continued to be stumped with why he's been coughing so much for so long. After that I think Dr. Staats gave up on Ethan and pretty much just told me to give him a tablespoon of honey and have him take steamy showers. Really that's the best she can do?! I was not happy.
- Three days later, Brian noticed that the lump on Ethan's neck got harder and I called to get an appointment. Since Dr. Staats was completely booked, I had to see Dr. Murphy. Well it turned out that was a blessing in disguise. Apparently, Dr. Murphy is a Ped. Allergist and knew right away after seeing and hearing Ethan cough that it is severe allergies. He told me to come back the next day so we could do an allergy test in order to determine what Ethan's allergic to. We also found out that he had pin worms (which I'm guessing he picked up from school) and is something that has been bothering him for over three weeks.
- So on New Year's Eve Day, I took Ethan in again to do this test which according to the doctor it shouldn't hurt. But apparently it involved pricking his back with over 30 needles which I didn't know and Ethan was screaming and crying... I felt so AWFUL! Thankfully a little dum-dum helped make it all better. The result showed that Ethan is allergic to dust mites, pet dander and a bunch of trees. He prescribed two different med + a nose spray + Zyrtec and said we should see results and comfort right away. Not sure why Dr. Staats had never once mentioned that her colleague is an allergist or even about this test.
- Well, after 24 hours of taking the medication and not seeing anything different, I was frustrated. Ethan continued to cough and also napped 3 hours a day because his body was exhausted from the mono. I was having serious doubts that it was allergies. The good news is that his pin worms situation cleared up without us having to purchase the $50 medication.
- After four days, the meds are finally kicking in and doing something. And today for the very first time in two weeks, Ethan is eating well and seems to have more energy. He didn't even need a nap! We even made it to the playground and enjoy this beautiful 61 degree weather. Still coughing a little but nothing like it was before. So thankful that he's almost back to his normal self right before having to head back to school tomorrow! We have another check up this Thursday and the doctor might finally prescribe us a nebulizer which is what I've been asking for this whole time. Please continue to pray for him!
1.04.2015
Ethan Update
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment