6.30.2014

Pee Wee Paddler II

Session II today which didn't start off very well.  ALL morning Ethan kept saying he doesn't want to go and I could tell he was feeling anxious about inhaling the water again.  (I totally get it though because I'm exactly the same way.  I get anxious just driving him to soccer lesson - and Brian laughs at me).  I tried to talk him through it, but we really got nowhere.  Finally I had to use the "most of your friends already know how to swim" card which I normally don't like to do, but it got him to stop whining.  Then I had to use the "I don't actually know how to swim because I quit too soon" card in order for him to put on his swim trunks and get out the door.  On the way there, we prayed and I told him that Jesus will be with him.  I also repeated the instructions: goggles, breath and bubbles.  He got into the pool unwillingly and once it was his turn, all I can see was his little face looking at me...crying.  I got super teary and found myself repeating out loud "blow bubbles, buddy blow bubbles" while clinching my hands.  Don't ask me why, but I'm sure lady next to me thought I was weird.  Once he figured out, I saw a big smile across his face as he waved to me.  And I exhaled in relieve.  He had fun the rest of the lesson and said he couldn't wait to come back tomorrow.  The whole way home he kept asking me in excitement, "Did you see me?"  And I answered in the same tone of excitement, "Yes, buddy I was watching you the whole time.  I knew you could do it!!!  I'm so proud of you!"  I know this isn't even the real thing yet, but I guess I'll have to get use to this - fast.

No comments: