I love summer time especially when there's enough stuff to keep us busy. So far this summer has been good to us: we've had sleep-in days, pajamas days, spontaneous days and busy days. All enjoyable and savour because I know we won't have all of this when Fall comes and kindergarten begins. The best part is that Gavin can now keep up with Ethan on the playground which relieve me from being the playmate.
Ethan started soccer and swimming through the Rec Center programs and so far it has been okay. His soccer lessons took place at an elementary school indoor gym which is really hard to learn considering his ball just keep on rolling. On top of that, his coach seemed impatient and is super vague with instructions. All I see is a bunch of 5-year-old standing around looking confused. Brian and I discussed these "negatives" with each other not thinking anything. But then Ethan overheard it and so this past Saturday he REALLY didn't want to go back to session 2. Duh us! We made him go anyway and thankfully he ended up liking it again.
As for swimming, he only had one lesson and already hated it because the teacher made him put his head underwater. Each time he would inhale and choke. Poor kid. He kept signing "all done" to me and had the most desperate look on his face. Oh how I wanted to rescue him! Afterwards I tried to coach him: put on your goggles, take a deep breath and blow bubbles. I guess we'll see how the next one go even though he said he's done with lessons.
On a similar note as Ethan's getting closer to entering kindergarten, I find myself struggling to see him in hard situations or environments (like mentioned above). He's not in preschool anymore so teachers and coaches no longer take the time to gently explain things to him. They give instructions and just expect them to understand and follow...or else there will be consequences. Really, there's no babying anymore and I think I'm having a harder time than he is. Many times when I see him confused or struggling, I wish I could come along side him and help put things in a different way so he understands. But I know he'll resilient and in time he'll learn - fast. Part of preparing him for the real world I suppose...
No comments:
Post a Comment