As I watched other babies around Ethan's age, we realized early on that Ethan isn't a "typical" baby. I know every child is unique in their own ways; however, Ethan's high level of activeness, alertness and strong personalities really made us wonder sometimes. So I went online to do some research hoping to better understand him and happened to stumble upon two different books called
Living with the Active Alert Child and
Raising Your Spirited Child which I ordered. Apparently, Ethan fits into this "more" category of children: more intense, more sensitive, more perceptive, more persistent, more energetic. Even though different doctors/authors coined the terms differently - "High Needs," "Active Alert" and "Spirited" - they are all talking about pretty much the same thing. Anyway, I'm currently reading the first book and wow, what an epiphany!!! Things just make so much sense now! The author wrote something that was both affirming and relieving to me:
You didn't create this temperament. Your child was born with it (aka God created him to be just the way he is). I guess sometimes I feel responsible for the fact that he isn't the calm, "boring" baby. From what I've read so far Ethan doesn't fit everything to a tee, but he does have a LOT of the traits which are mentioned below:
Movement is your child's learning tool. Think about this in relation to a "fussy baby." If you learned best through movement but you could not crawl or walk, wouldn't you be "fussy" or colicky, too? - This is 100% right on from day one and would explain why he never wants to sit or wants us to sit while holding him!!!
Energy
They have limitless energy. From morning until night they are moving. Because of this he has a hard time blocking out the stimuli and settling himself down. He hardly ever looks tired, but I've learned his "sleepy" cues and intervened.
Perceptiveness
Perceptive kids notice everything around them. The smallest detail seldom escapes them. He is always super alert with his head constantly turning from side to side in fear he would miss something.
Bright
I think his curious mind combined with his exploring personality lead him to see/touch/do things and make him learn a lot faster.
Intensity
Strength of emotional reactions. People often remark how "alert" an intense baby is or how much "personality" he has. He can go from happy to a flood of tears in two seconds and then back again.
Persistence
They will stick to something for a long time. But they also have the negative kind, stubbornness. They "lock in" to ideas and have trouble unlocking. They can never take "no" for an answer. I can already see this in the making with his determination.
Well I pray that in reading these books, Brian and I would become more equipped in parenting Ethan and would feel less frustrated. Along with that, we hope to focus more on his positive qualities and the potentials of what great things God can do through them.
No comments:
Post a Comment