So about a week ago, sickie #1 (Ethan) gave sickie #2 (me) a NASTY cold. Ever since then I've been: coughing so much that I've built some ab muscles and kept Brian up many, many nights. I've been downing cough drops, Nightquil, Dayquil and Robintussin and nothing is working. Now I'm at the stuffy/runny nose stage (accompanied by a sinus headache) so I finally decided that it's best if I just relocate to the guest bedroom for both of our sake. Fun, fun.
Despite being under the weather, it has turned out to be a pretty busy week for us after all. Playdates three times this week. Went to church twice for my women bible study and AWANA. Went to Julie's house and bible study today. Brian has a soccer game tomorrow and I have MOPS mom's night out on Friday. Oh yeah not to mention helping out with a shower on Sunday. Wow. Hopefully I can snap out of this yuckiness soon!
Anyway since I can't sleep I decided to get on and just blog about some random things. So two nights ago, I asked my husband to honestly tell me what he thought of my mashed potatoes (in general). Brian is not a picky eater at all, but he did say that it never tasted right this whole 6-1/2 years we've been married. I know this obviously shouldn't be that difficult, but I didn't grow up with this stuff so apparently it is. So what did this Asian, rice-eating wife do? I made it my personal goal to figured out how to pleased my Midwest, potato-eating husband. I looked up some stuff online and gave it a shot...that very night. It was such a huge anticipation for dinner that night just to see if I finally get it right. After the first bite, I got a nod and huge grin. Good enough for me: a s-mashing success! Alright I better catch some shut eye or I'll definitely feel it tomorrow.
Bacon Garlic Creamed Mashed Potatoes
4 cups peeled and diced white potatoes
6 oz bacon, chopped (I skipped these)
salt
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (I just used milk)
1 head roasted garlic, pulp removed
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Combine the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover the potatoes with water and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Return the potatoes to the paon and over low heat, stir them with a fork or wire whisk for about 2 minutes to dehydrate them. Add the cream and garlic pulp. Stir to mix well. Add the white pepper. Mix well. Fold the bacon and bacon fat into the creamed potatoes. **If omitting the bacon and bacon fat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
3 comments:
I can't make them either!! I just served glue to my family a few nights ago and tried to call it mashed potatoes. I usually stick with some sort of roasting but I'd love to know what you did. The funny thing is that I just figured out how to make rice about 6 months ago.
What did you differently? Zac's been wanting to buy a rice cooker...he said your rice was always better than my "rice-in-a-bag" i always make...
Glad to know I'm not the only one ;0) I'll post the recipe and you let me know how it turns out.
Krissy- that's what mine looks like and taste like too. Yuck!
Jenn- haha, you'll just have to come back and visit us for the real thing!
Post a Comment