I've never been very good at just reading straight out of the Bible and getting phenomenon thoughts out of it everyday. What I've enjoyed were some of the studies from the Tuesday morning women's study from back home where they have 5 days of homework with 2 days to catch up. But now that I don't have that, quiet time has been a struggle. Part of it is being constantly distracted in thoughts. Part of it is doing it so I can check off my to do list. I know it's sad.
Anyway, one of the break out session at the True Woman's conference was the 5 P's of Bible Study taught by Priscilla Shirer which was exactly what I needed.
1. Position yourself to hear from God.
2. Pour over the passage & paraphrase the major points.
3. Pull out the spiritual principles.
4. Pose the questions.
5. Plan obedience & pin down a date to obey.
I've heard of something similar to this method before and had even attempted at it, but still felt like it was too much. It wasn't until Priscilla (mother of 3 boys) said that at this season of her life, all she could do each day is two verses and that's it. That's when it changed my perspective. This is quality over quantity here. It's better to get something out of two verses than nothing out of reading a whole chapter, which is what I have been doing. I've started yesterday in Colossians and what a difference it has been! And how much I look forward to reading more. Just amazing.
Along with that, I just recently finished a book called Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo which also changed my perspective on prayers. If you haven't read it, it's about this little boy who went to heaven while he was having an emergency appendectomy and then came back to tell his family about it. It was just refreshing to be reminded of how God sees, hears and certainly answers prayers. He's near even in times when you don't always "feel" it. And how excited I am to meet my Heavenly Father one day!
No comments:
Post a Comment