1.23.2009

Ronald W. Billman (1922-2009)

Brian and I just recently got back from Marshalltown for Grandpa Billman's visitation & funeral. Neither one of us really knew what to expect since it was the first time we've ever been to something like this. Anyway, reality hit me as soon as I walked in and saw grandpa lying there. The thought that he will no longer be at any of the Billmans' dinner made me sad and teary - he was always the main man at those events. The private family visitation was very informal and lighthearted as everyone shared their fond memories with grandpa (which were incorporated into the funeral ceremony). There were definitely tears but also lots of laughters. The neatest part of all was during the funeral when Brian's dad, Dave shared grandpa's testimony and how he came to Christ. Dave was also able to extend that invitation of eternal life to the others in the room. It was very moving because I can definitely feel the Lord's presence there. All in all, the whole thing felt like a time of celebration instead of mourning because we knew that he's standing in heaven with Jesus Christ!

Side note: This weekend also reminded me how grandparents do have stories of their once young and vibrant lives. I know it's so silly for me to say that, but I guess sometimes I forget of all the things they used to do. I was reading Grandpa Billman's obituary and it was amazing to learn what he had done in his lifetime!

Here are a couple of pictures from the funeral when Grandpa Billman was in the military. Can you see any family resemblance?

No comments: